"Prior to law school, I spent nine years as a registered nurse. When I chose to further my studies and pursue a career in law, I chose health law. It was a natural transition – moving from caring for patients to taking care of healthcare providers."
— Blake Waters
Blake Waters is a health law transactional and corporate attorney with a sleuth-like eye for detail. Much of Blake’s practice is focused on contract law, particularly lease agreements and associated amendments. He takes pride in rooting out loopholes and weak points in contracts and agreements that might leave his client’s exposed to unintended consequences. He is also acutely familiar with regulatory matters, advising healthcare providers and establishing medical practices in compliance with complex state and federal regulations.
Prior to joining Hendershot Cowart P.C., Blake served as in-house counsel for a group of occupational therapy clinics across multiple states. His in-house experience gave him unique insight into the day-to-day operations and practical challenges of running a healthcare business – insight he uses in establishing compliant and thriving healthcare businesses with his clients. Prior to becoming an attorney, Blake was a registered nurse primarily serving in an emergency room setting, where he honed his critical thinking skills and attention to detail.
Blake graduated with a B.S. in nursing from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi in 2011, and went on to earn his J.D., graduating cum laude, from South Texas College of Law in 2019. Outside of work, Blake plays golf, enjoys fishing, and has recently been bitten by the RV bug. However, his greatest joy comes from being a dad to two and a husband.
Primary Focus and Experience
- Business Law
- Contract Law
- Corporate Formation
- Health Law
Recent Significant Engagements
- Drafted asset purchase agreement and performed due diligence for buyer-side leading to a successful transaction.
- Collaborated on the due diligence phase of a potential acquisition in excess of three hundred million dollars.
- Routinely review, draft, and advise on contracts including commercial lease agreements, asset purchase agreements, employment agreements, purchase and sale agreements, healthcare service agreements, network provider agreements, and other various agreements or documents.
- J.D., South Texas College of Law, cum laude
- B.S., Nursing, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi