“I am a very competitive person by nature. It comes from my past playing college football and coaching high school football before going to law school. These days, litigation is my competitive sport. The competitive aspect of litigation drives me to fight for my clients.”
— Derek G. Flynn
Derek Flynn’s practice focuses primarily on labor and employment law and corporate and commercial litigation, including extensive experience handling matters related to insurance defense, regulatory and administrative law, franchise law, and civil fraud investigations. He is a problem solver and enjoys determining the most efficient way to resolve complex issues.
Derek regularly advocates on behalf of clients before various state and federal regulatory agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA), the Texas State Office of Administrative Hearings (SOAH), the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the Texas Work Force Commission (TWC), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Texas State Securities Board (TSSB).
He also provides outside general counsel services to companies ranging from national, multi-location businesses to small startup companies across the Texas.
Derek has been practicing law since 2005. He began his legal career in the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, where he tried a wide range of misdemeanor and felony cases. Outside of work, Derek enjoys spending time with his three kids, hunting, fishing, golf, working out, and live music. Derek also loves to cook and regularly indulges his competitive streak by participating in BBQ cookoffs.
Primary Focus and Experience
- Business Litigation
- Employment Law
- Construction Law
- Securities Litigation
Recent Significant Engagements
- National trial counsel for a national franchisee, representing them in hundreds of litigation matters across the country in employment and labor related litigation.
- Represent a large residential and commercial construction company in a variety of litigation matters.
- Represent a number of local and national investment firms and financial advisory firms before FINRA and the SEC.
- Represent a statewide staffing company in the appeal of an adverse finding regarding misclassification of independent contractors before the TWC.
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer – Rising Star (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Houston Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Claims Litigation Management Association
- Baylor University Alumni Association
- South Texas College of Law Alumni Association
- J.D., South Texas College of Law
- B.A., History, Baylor University