Why I Practice Family Law
Family law matters can be complicated and emotional. Whether a client is going through a divorce or adopting a child, I am devoted to making positive changes and creating opportunities for everyone I work with.
Divorce can involve the establishment of custodial rights, division of large assets and other life-altering changes. My goal is to work for the best possible outcome for my clients by representing them with integrity. Keeping my clients informed and educated about every aspect of their legal matter is one of my top priorities.
Many lawyers try divorce cases and decide never to try one again, because of how emotional the practice of family law can be. I love divorce and family law for exactly that reason. I love it because I can make a positive difference in my clients’ lives during one of the most stressful times of their lives.
For the first six years of my practice at Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C., I was the only attorney practicing family law. At that point, I took on a leadership role, became a name partner, and hired staff and associates to establish a dedicated family law section. This is my love and my passion.
Family law – divorce, custody, adoption – is all I want to do as a lawyer.My Background
I grew up with a family of dedicated doctors who instilled in me a strong work ethic and dedication to career in addition to family. Once I knew that I wanted to practice law, it didn’t take long for me to find my passion in family law. Once enrolled at South Texas College of Law, I began working as a law clerk at Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C. during my first year as a law student. I have remained dedicated not only to family law, but also to the firm where my career began.The Art of Representing Family Law Clients
As a family law attorney, a large amount of time and effort is spent in the courtroom. Divorce and family law is one of the most litigated areas of practice for a lawyer. It’s also one where interaction with the client is most personal and involved. Care and attention to clients and their legal challenges must be genuine in order to do well in this business.
This people-centered approach carries over from the client to the courtroom.
There are many judges throughout Houston and the surrounding areas. The courts and the presiding judges have approaches that vary drastically from court to court. For example, a parenting plan approved by one judge may be rejected by another. With my experience and knowledge of the different courts and preferences of our many judges, I am able to help set your expectations, give you an honest opinion about what we’re facing, and work toward achieving the result you want – or get as close to it as possible – based on the situation at hand.Why Hire Me?
- I’ve loved the practice of divorce and family law from the first case.
- I’ve gone through the adoption process, having adopted my own two children to be part of my family.
- I am regularly appointed as an amicus attorney by the courts to protect the interests of children in both private and state cases.
- I am Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, which requires an experience level created by handling a vast number of family law trials, mediations, arbitrations, and appeals, all before you can even take the difficult test required for certification. Very few attorneys become Board Certified.
- I am a certified mediator and can help facilitate a civil alternative to divorce litigation.
These are just some of the reasons why I choose to dedicate my livelihood to helping people establish the best possible situation for their families.
Areas of Practice
- Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified Mediator
- Texas - 2004
South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 2004
Texas A & M University
- B.B.A. - 2001
- Client's Choice: Avvo – 2017, 2014
- Super Lawyers: Texas Rising Star: Up-and-Coming 50 Women - 2017- 2018
- Super Lawyers: Texas Rising Star: Family Law – 2016 - 2018
- Top Lawyers: Houstonia Magazine - 2015
- Board Certified - Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization - 2014
- American Bar Association (Family Law Committee and Civil Litigation Section), Member
- Fort Bend County Bar Association, Member
- Fort Bend County Lawyer’s Care Program, Member
- Houston Bar Association (Family Law Section Member), Member
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Houston Area Big Brother Big Sister Organization