Houston Adoption Lawyers
Adoption Attorneys in Houston Serving Families in Texas
Adoption is a legal arrangement where parental rights are transferred from the natural or birth parents to the adoptive parents. At Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C., we are dedicated advocates for prospective parents, stepparents, grandparents, foster parents, same-sex families and biological parents alike - and we encourage you to reach out to us and speak personally with a Houston adoption attorney about your adoption needs.
We have 26 plus years of experience helping families through the adoption process, including:
- Private adoptions: including relative adoptions, surrogates or other private channels such as knowing a birth mother who is wanting to place her child for adoption. Our attorneys can assist with surrogacy agreements, adoption petitions, relinquishment paperwork (and termination of parental rights), and ICPC compliance matters for adoptions across state-lines.
- Stepparent adoptions: including situations that involve the other biological parent consenting OR objecting to the proposed adoption. Stepparents adopting their step-children is not only a meaningful act, it's also a legally essential one because without a legal guardian status - stepparents have no rights to protect their children in the event that the biological parent dies, is incarcerated, or otherwise becomes unable to perform his or her parental duties.
- Even if the other biological parent refuses to relinquish their rights – it does not mean there can’t be a successful adoption. We have helped many stepparents in these situations. We can also assist biological parents who want to retain their parental rights when a stepparent seeks to adopt their child.
- Second Parent Adoptions: whether it involves the child of one of the parents from a former marriage, relationship, a private agency adoption, or any other arrangement. While Texas has no formal prohibition on same-sex adoptions, Texas family courts handle these cases inconsistently - which is why retaining a skilled adoption attorney in Houston is recommended.
- Grandparent Adoptions: for grandparents raising their grandchildren. Benefits of becoming a legal guardian for your grandchild often simplifies everyday tasks, such as obtaining a passport, enrolling him or her in school, taking them to the doctor and making medical decisions for him or her.
We also provide legal counsel for clients adopting through an adoption agency. To schedule a consultation, call (713) 909-7323 or complete an online form.
The Adoption Process in Texas
For all types of adoptions, there are certain processes and requirements which must be met before an adoption can be finalized. To start, a biological parent must terminate their rights through voluntarily relinquishment or termination by the State due to abandonment, abuse/neglect, or being deemed as an unfit parent.
Other procedures and prerequisites may include:
- The child must have lived with the proposed adoptive parent for at least six months
- Presentation of criminal records and background checks to the court
- Home visits, otherwise known as a home study (with all members of the family present). This may include an interview of the adoptive parents
- Letters of references from relatives and non-relatives
- Assembly of financial documents supporting financial stability
- Consent to the adoption if the child is over 12 years of age
- For interstate adoptions - Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) compliance verification measures for both the sending and receiving states. Interstate adoption cases require adoptive parents to have legal counsel in both Texas and the state where the child currently lives.
Start the Process Today: Contact our Houston Adoption Lawyers
At Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C., we stand ready to put our 26-plus years of experience and legal recognition in family law to work for you, and resolve your adoption and child custody legal matters.
For strong, hands-on representation, get in touch with our Houston family lawyers and discover what sets us apart. Complete an online form or call (713) 909-7323 to request a confidential case evaluation today.