Open Accessibility Menu

Modifications & Enforcement of Court Orders

Houston Divorce Modification Attorneys

Life variables often change - and because of this many arrangements concluded in a divorce decree or child custody agreement may need to be revisited. Texas law allows modifications to divorce decrees or suit affecting a parent-child relationship if both parties mutually decide to alter the terms OR if there has been material and substantial changes in circumstances for a party or of a child.

Start the Process Today

Is it possible to change or modify child custody orders?

Yes, to modify child custody orders you must either file an agreed child custody modification order or file a petition to change the custody order. This is a new lawsuit and if an agreement cannot be reached with the other parent, you will present the case to the Court.

What are some reasons to modify a divorce order?

  • Significant life changes such as major changes in work schedules
  • A parent moves a great distance or out-of-state
  • A parent receives a new job opportunity or significant increase in salary
  • A parent experiences a job loss
  • Unexpected health issues of a child
  • Original orders entered in your absence (common for military service personnel)
  • Misconduct and unfit parenting such as neglect or involvement in drug or alcohol abuse
  • Domestic violence
  • The original custody and visitation arrangement is no longer in the child’s best interest anymore

See More Reasons to Modify Your Divorce Decree

Divorce, child custody and visitation orders are established based on the facts and circumstances that prevail when they are issued. They can be modified when circumstances change, but the change must be significant and the court will make its decision based on the best interests of the child.

Representing clients throughout Houston, Sugar Land and Galveston, Texas, the family law attorneys of Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C., can help you petition the court for a modification, or help you contest a proposed modification.

We represent clients in all types of modifications, including:

To discuss your options for modification, call us at (713) 909-7323 – or if you prefer, contact us online.

Enforcement of Court Orders: How an Attorney Can Help

If you are having issues enforcing a Texas court order, the Houston family law attorneys of Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey are here to help you through the process. The Texas Family Code provides that affected parties may seek court intervention to enforce their divorce decree or suit affecting parent-child relationship for the following:

  • Spousal support or other contractual provision such as the failure to turn over assets, pay debts as ordered, sell or refinance an asset, or other actions as ordered to divide property equitably
  • Obstruction to orders providing for possession and access to a child
  • Child support
  • Protective/ restraining orders in cases of domestic violence

Enforcement actions are subject to statue of limitations. Call our Houston law firm to discuss your options and potential relief from violations.

Getting Started: Modifying or Enforcing Your Divorce Court Order

If you are in a situation where the circumstances of life have changed and your final order needs to be modified or enforced, contact our firm today! An experienced family law attorney in Houston can help you understand what your options are for modification or enforcement of Court Orders and the best solutions to move forward intelligently. These types of family law matters are highly contested disputes, but with 130+ years of combined legal experience, our lawyers are not shaken by high-level disputes. Speak with our law firm today about your case. Call (713) 909-7323 or contact us online 24/7.

Committed To Protecting Your Interests

Lawyer Consulting a Client
  • "I would highly recommend Ms. Cannon. She has such a profound knowledge of family law, she puts your fears at ease. Divorce, child custody or whatever the issue may be, Ms. Cannon will make you feel like you are her only client. Ms. Cannon represented me in a child custody issue I was having with my ex-husband. I obtained full custody (thanks to Lennea) of my daughter and the hearing could not have gone any smoother. She was prompt in responding to my emails regarding my case in a professional and truthful manner. If my rate scale is between 1 and 10, I give her an 11. I have nothing negative to say about Ms. Cannon. She is professional in every aspect and keeps you thoroughly updated on the status of your case."

    - Amy S.
Trusted for 25 years
Our Mission is to exceed your expectations, which means going above and beyond for you, not settling for 'good enough.' We focus on accomplishing your goals and objectives through relentless preparation, assertive action and uncompromising professional standards.

Contact Us Now

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.