Open Accessibility Menu

Houston Paternity Rights Lawyer

Unmarried Parents & Paternity Suits in Houston, Sugar Land, and Galveston

(713) 909-7323

Request Attorney Consultation

When couples are married when a child is born, the husband is the presumed father of the child. This is not the case with children born to unmarried parents. A child born to unmarried parents in Texas does not have a legal father until paternity is established. However, the mother and father may sign an “acknowledgement of paternity” (AOP) with the intent to establish paternity.

The execution of paternity is not something to be taken lightly and once signed, it leads to the establishment of parent-child relationship between the father and the child. When paternity cannot be voluntarily established, legal action may become necessary.

HCH Logo Learn more about our paternity and family law services. Call (713) 909-7323 for an initial consultation.

How Paternity Is Established

Paternity can be established in Texas in one of the following ways:

  • Presumed when parents are married when the child is born;
  • Through both parties voluntarily signing an Acknowledgment of Paternity form; or
  • Through court proceedings called “petition to adjudicate parentage” and the issuance of an order adjudicating parentage.

Suit to adjudicate parentage usually involves a party that disputes the designation of a paternity. A father who may be the father of the child is called “alleged father”. This may involve a man who disputes their legal relationship and obligations to a child or wishes to assert their rights as a father, or a mother who claims or disputes a man’s status as legal father. Petitions to adjudicate parentage may also be filed by the child or the state if a child receives public assistance.

When a petition is filed, there are several ways it can be resolved:

  • When a father fails to appear in court after receiving proper notice of proceedings, a judge may enter a default order declaring him a legal father.
  • If a father appears and agrees he is the father, a court will enter an order adjudicating parentage.
  • If a mother or alleged father disputes paternity, or is uncertain of paternity, the court may order genetic testing. Failure to take a court-ordered DNA test leads to contempt of court. If DNA tests confirm a biological father, the court issues an order adjudicating parentage, which establishes a legal father, adds their name to the child’s birth certificate, and leads to orders over child custody, support, and visitation.

Paternity Tests & Definitive Answers

Establishing paternity is important to securing legal benefits and parental rights, as well as providing emotional benefits to a child.

Both men and women can benefit from the results of a paternity test:

  • For Men – DNA test can affirm whether a child is yours and an order adjudicating your paternity will secure your rightful relationship with your child. Biological fathers who are legally recognized as noncustodial parents can be entitled to visitation, input on important decisions regarding the child’s upbringing (such as education), and the ability to request information on the child's well-being (report cards, medical documents, etc.).
  • For Women – For a mother, paternity must be lawfully established before financial support can be legally obtained. The establishment of paternity can also help determine whether there are any genetic medical conditions that the mother and her child should be aware of on the father’s side.

Can I change my child’s last name from the father’s surname to mine?

You can request the Court to legally change the child’s last name. Just like any other litigation, you must serve the other parent with a request for change of name. You can also include a request to change the child’s last name as part of the suit affecting the parent-child relationship.

Request a Consultation with Our Houston Family Lawyers

Regardless of the complexity or nature of your case, Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C. has the experience and resources to find answers and the most positive resolution possible. Our family law team proudly serves clients throughout Houston, Sugar Land, and Galveston, and has technological resources to communicate with you effectively even if you are stationed in the military or work outside of Texas. Using Skype video conferencing capabilities, email, and other methods, we frequently assist active-duty service members with paternity proceedings and other pivotal matters.

HCH Logo Call (713) 909-7323 today, or contact our firm using a short online form. We look forward to speaking with you during a confidential consultation.

Committed To Protecting Your Interests

Lawyer Consulting a Client
  • "I would highly recommend Ms. Cannon. She has such a profound knowledge of family law, she puts your fears at ease. Divorce, child custody or whatever the issue may be, Ms. Cannon will make you feel like you are her only client. Ms. Cannon represented me in a child custody issue I was having with my ex-husband. I obtained full custody (thanks to Lennea) of my daughter and the hearing could not have gone any smoother. She was prompt in responding to my emails regarding my case in a professional and truthful manner. If my rate scale is between 1 and 10, I give her an 11. I have nothing negative to say about Ms. Cannon. She is professional in every aspect and keeps you thoroughly updated on the status of your case."

    - Amy S.
Trusted for 25 years
Our Mission is to exceed your expectations, which means going above and beyond for you, not settling for 'good enough.' We focus on accomplishing your goals and objectives through relentless preparation, assertive action and uncompromising professional standards.

Contact Us Now

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.