“The key to any client relationship is communication. We listen to our clients to gain an understanding of their business, their situation, and their goals. Then we devise a plan to achieve the most cost-effective outcome.”
— David Augustus
David Augustus is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on complex business litigation. He has tried numerous cases in both federal and state courts, as well as in multiple arbitration forums, and has briefed and argued cases at the state and federal appellate levels, including significant roles in multiple securities class actions and mass tort actions. This broad litigation experience allows David to maintain a big-picture point of view while remaining focused on the fundamentals and individual details of each case.
David has represented clients in a wide range of business disputes, with much of his experience involving contract disputes and business owner disputes. He enjoys learning about his clients and developing a practical litigation strategy intended to meet their long-term goals. David brings to each case a creative approach to problem-solving, a tireless work ethic, and a commitment to excellence.
Outside of work, David cherishes the time he gets to spend with his wife and three daughters. Ordained as a Teaching Elder in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), he also regularly teaches as part of the teaching ministries of First Presbyterian Church of Houston.
Primary Focus and Experience
Recent Significant Engagements
- Successfully represented shareholders of a technology development company in claims against the company’s founder for misappropriation of company assets.
- Successfully defended prior owners of a cosmetic health center against claims of fraud in the sale of the company.
- Successfully represented former executives of an interstate construction company against claims of misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Successfully represented a physician against claims brought by former business partners after my client’s resignation from the business.
- Successfully defended the founder of a credit repair service company against allegations that he breached the agreement by which he sold the company to a new owner.
- Successfully negotiated the termination of a physician non-complete agreement to allow the client to transfer from one hospital system to another.
- Successfully advocated for minority owners of a multi-billion-dollar quantitative trading firm in Houston, Texas bringing claims for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against the majority owner in connection with the termination of a voting trust agreement and amendment of the limited partnership agreement.
- As lead counsel, represented hundreds of individual plaintiffs in product liability claims against the manufacturers of various medical devices utilizing a defective component.
- Advocated for property management company in defense of claims of breach of fiduciary duty and fraud by property owners’ association.
- Served as lead counsel for individual investors bringing claims for securities fraud against the issuer of ownership interests in an oil and gas venture.
- Trial counsel for trucking company bringing bad-faith insurance practice claims against a consortium of insurance and reinsurance companies.
- Served as trial counsel for both individual investors in FINRA arbitration and for class plaintiffs in a federal class action alleging fraud against financial services firm in connection with the sale of Enron securities.
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, cum laude
- Master of Divinity, Fuller Theological Seminary
- B.B.A., Management, Texas A&M University