Intellectual Property & Trade Secret Protection in Houston
Helping Clients in Texas & Across the U.S. Protect & Defend Trade Secrets
Trade secrets, trademarks and copyrights have considerable value and are vital to a businesses’ long-term success.
- Are you proactively protecting your intellectual property?
- When your intellectual property is infringed, do you know your options for remedies?
Let Our Texas Intellectual Property Law Firm Help You
Establishing and enforcing binding legal agreements between your business and employees can protect confidential information, and provide recourse in the event that an agreement is violated or breached. Our legal team at Hendershot Cowart P.C. has been protecting and defending intellectual property and trade secrets since 1987.
Managing Shareholder Trey Hendershot personally has more than 34 years of experience representing clients involved in intellectual property disputes, and he leads our award-winning business litigation team. With decades of combined experience, we are among the leading business litigation attorneys in Texas.
To schedule a consultation - Call (713) 909-7323 or complete an online form 24/7.
Our Law Firm Handles Intellectual Property Disputes and IP Protection of All Types, Including:
Our Firm's Scope of Intellectual Property Litigation:
- Patent infringement;
- Copyright infringement;
- Trademark infringement;
- Trade secret misappropriation;
- Breach of fiduciary duty; and
- Breach of non-disclosure agreement that relates to confidential and proprietary information.
If your intellectual property assets are infringed or misappropriated, do not delay in contacting Hendershot Cowart P.C. In any intellectual property infringement suit, immediate action is essential. When applicable, our experienced business attorneys seek a temporary restraining order or injunction to stop the infringement from occurring.
Our Firm's Scope of Intellectual Property Protection:
- Non-compete agreements or non-solicitation agreements;
- Confidentiality agreements or NDA’s;
- Licensure agreements;
- Licensing or technology development agreements;
- Trademarks and copyrights; and
- Work-for-hire agreements;
Our intellectual property lawyers are experienced in assisting businesses and entrepreneurs with a full range of services related to intellectual property law, business formation, employment agreements, contracts and litigation.
How to Deal With Theft of Trade Secrets
There are multiple ways to deal with theft of trade secrets. The Texas Uniform Trade Secret Act (TUTSA) provides for injunctive relief and other remedies, including monetary damages, in the effort to deal with theft or ongoing misappropriation of trade secrets.
Among These Include the Following:
- Restraining orders
- Temporary and permanent injunctions
- Disgorgement of profits
- Damages for actual loss
- Damages for unjust enrichment
- Reasonable royalty fees
- Exemplary damages in cases of willful and malicious misappropriation
- Attorney fees under a fee-shifting provision
You may already have a solid agreement in place, but that might not be enough to prevent an employee or partner from violating the agreement - or a competitor from reverse-engineering your product or service.
Texas law imposes a fiduciary duty on former employees not to take trade secrets (customer lists, for instance) and use those trade secrets to the detriment of the former employer, but this is very common.
Our Goals in These Cases:
- Stop competitors, former employees, business associates, partners, shareholders, etc. from stealing or misappropriating your trade secrets-be it source code, customer lists, or your product or design.
- Obtain monetary damages for actual loss, which is tied directly to the misappropriation, and for unjust enrichment, which is tied indirectly to your original investment in research and development.
- Obtain injunctive relief when appropriate
- Obtain reasonable royalty streams based on use if your product/service could have been licensed.
To learn more on how to deal with theft of trade secrets, visit our page on trade secret violations.
For drafting and negotiating IP agreements and protecting trade secrets, the lawyers of Hendershot Cowart P.C. serve business clients in Houston and throughout Texas. Schedule a confidential consultation today at (713) 909-7323 or contact us online.
“They've always come through for me.”- Joseph D.
“Your law firm has impressed me to no end, and should anyone I know ever need legal representation, I will be sure to refer them to ...”- Dr. R
“We sincerely appreciate your dedication and drive in straightening out the most difficult situation in our life.”- Raga and DC Gunnia