“I’ve always been drawn to health care and even considered medicine as a career. In the end, I pursued the study of political science and sociology because I wanted to make an impact beyond the individual and utilize the law to change society for the better. Health law is the perfect marriage of these two interests and puts me in a perfect position to facilitate the growth of the health care industry and ultimately expand patient access to care.”
— Keith Lefkowitz
Keith Lefkowitz is an experienced regulatory and transactional attorney with a dual focus on health law and commercial leases. Keith understands the business of health care and routinely helps clients navigate fraud and abuse laws while ensuring that their company objectives are achieved.
Keith is intimately familiar with health care laws and regulations, including the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act. Most recently, he served as the Manager of Contracts and Legal Services for Clinical Pathology Laboratories. He has also served as an intern with the Texas Medical Board, where he gained valuable experience with Medical Board Rules and the licensure hearing process.
Keith’s practice primarily focuses on M&A matters for our health care clients and reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts and agreements, as well as compliance programs. He also represents clients in connection with OIG, False Claims Act, Texas Medical Board, Texas Board of Nursing, and other regulatory body investigations.
Keith is a Houston native and obtained his B.S., magna cum laude, from the University of Houston in 2012. In 2015, he earned a J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center, where he was a member of the Houston Journal of Health Law and Policy. On weekends, Keith enjoys spending time with his wife, Claire, and their two children, Lev and Camille. He is also an active member of his local community and plays basketball with the neighborhood dads.
Primary Focus and Experience
Recent Significant Engagements
- Successfully established numerous medical practices in compliance with applicable federal and state regulations, from business formation to company and physician agreements to the negotiation of commercial lease space.
- Reviewed, drafted, and negotiated physician employment agreements, medical director agreements, management services agreements, partnership agreements, business associate agreements, patient transfer agreements, and more, for a diverse array of healthcare clients.
- Provided critical legal guidance to physicians and healthcare executives regarding HIPAA, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, and commercial real estate compliance.
- Performed risk assessment of compliance program policies and structure, identifying areas of risk and the relative severity of each risk, for a regional laboratory care provider and a third-party administrator of health insurance plans.
- Structured numerous management service organizations in compliance with Texas’ Prohibition Against the Corporate Practice of Medicine.
- J.D., The University of Houston Law Center
- B.S., magna cum laude, Political Science and Sociology (double major), The University of Houston