Houston Civil Litigation Attorneys
Helping Plaintiffs and Defendants Navigate Complex Civil Law Matters
Hendershot Cowart P.C. is a civil litigation firm that focuses on business and commercial matters. If you have been served with legal documents or have a dispute with one or more parties and need the courts to intervene, our experienced civil lawyers in Houston can help you resolve your case. We can also help you navigate complicated contracts and complex transactions.
Collectively, we have been guiding business owners, executives, corporate directors, vendors, suppliers, and general counsels through civil litigation for more than 100 years.
We can help you, too.
On This Page:
- What Types of Cases Do Civil Lawyers Handle?
- What Does a Civil Litigation Attorney Do?
- Civil Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- When Should I Hire a Civil Lawyer?
What Types of Cases Do Civil Lawyers Handle?
Civil litigation refers to any legal dispute that does not involve criminal charges. Generally, civil law cases involve two or more parties seeking monetary damages or specific actions related to disputes over money, property, or agreements.
Civil lawyers can specialize in many different fields of law, such as personal injury, family law, real estate law, and more. The civil litigation attorneys at Hendershot Cowart P.C. handle cases specifically related to commercial or business law, such as:
- Breach of contract disputes – contracts are at the heart of business transactions, and our lawyers can help you prevent or mitigate any resulting damage from a breach of contract or find legal remedies for a breach under Texas law.
- Commercial construction defect or delay claims – when projects fail to meet certain standards or delays cause additional costs, litigation may arise. Our attorneys can help you through it, whether you are bringing a claim or need to defend yourself against one.
- Intellectual property litigation – at Hendershot Cowart P.C., we help our clients prevent, contain, and recover financial damages for theft or misappropriation of their intellectual property.
- Theft of trade secrets – we represent both defendants and plaintiffs in cases involving alleged theft, misappropriation, or unauthorized use of trade secrets.
- Patent infringement claims – our firm helps clients defend themselves against patent infringement claims and patent trolls, so they can move forward with their business ventures.
- Defense against trademark or licensing agreement infringement – trademarks are vital to a business’ brand and reputation, and we can help ensure that they are used correctly both inside and outside of licensing agreements.
- Supply and vendor disputes – we serve buyers, suppliers, and sellers when complex disputes cause costly losses and delays, even throughout the supply chain disruptions related to COVID-19.
The cases above are only a sampling of the cases our Houston civil litigation attorneys handle. Tell us about your situation to find out how we can help you find a favorable resolution.
What Does a Civil Litigation Attorney Do?
A civil litigation attorney will represent your interests – in and outside of the courtroom – in any civil dispute. At Hendershot Cowart P.C., our process starts with an initial consultation either by phone, videoconference, or in person. During that consultation, your civil law attorney will review the details of the matter with you – including supporting documents, such as contracts, letters from opposing attorney, and other legal documents or evidence – to determine the strengths and weaknesses of your case. Next, your attorney will formulate the best strategy to protect your interests and resolve the dispute. Our civil law attorneys will also ask about your goals for the matter and work within those parameters if possible to reach the best possible outcome.
Civil Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
Unlike criminal matters or administrative law matters (which usually involve a government agency or other regulatory body), civil litigation matters can be resolved in or outside of the courtroom. In fact, less than 3% of civil cases filed in court end up going to trial, and are often resolved through settlement negotiations, mediation, or arbitration, also known as alternative dispute resolution.
Our Houston civil litigation attorneys have considerable experience with alternative dispute resolution (ADR). We can use discovery to help you reach a settlement, present your argument during arbitration, or serve as mediators to guide both parties toward realistic solutions.
When Should I Hire a Civil Lawyer?
You should hire a civil attorney if the matter you are facing could lead to serious legal consequences – including monetary damages or adverse court orders – reputational damage, or threaten future business or client relationships.
You may also need a civil law attorney to review agreements and guide you through transactions and corporate formations. Getting a civil attorney involved at the outset can help you avoid disputes and give you solid legal footing to resolve them quickly should the inevitable dispute arise.
Hendershot Cowart P.C. believes in going above and beyond for each client and strives to exceed your expectations. We will make sure you know what is going on in your case – from start to finish – and strive to be lifelong legal counselors for you and your business.
We Shoulder the Legal Burden.™And let you get back to business.
We Want to Be Your Law Firm for Life.We take a vested interest in our clients' success – from start to finish.
We Believe in Prompt, Personal Attention.As a boutique law firm, we unite real experience with personal attention.
We Serve Clients Throughout Texas and the Nation.We handle matters from the Red River to the Rio Grande and beyond.
In Business Since 1987.Let us put the full force of our 100+ years of combined experience to work for you.
“I cannot say enough good things about my Lawyer, Mr. David Augustus. His calm, laser-like knowledge of business law allowed me to prevail and teach a few others during the short negotiations. Having the full backing of his law firm also helped greatly.” - L.A.
“Excellent experience working with Ray to settle our partnership dissolution. He was consistently available and steadfast in his guidance. Highly recommend this firm.” - S.H.
“I retained Hendershot Cowart last year. Though an obvious small case for the firm, it was traumatic and very personal for me. Ashley Arnett guided me through the process, never once making me feel that my case wasn’t any less important as any other.” - S.L.