“When a client hires me, they get someone with 30-plus years of experience who is going to pay very personal attention to each and every matter that comes across my desk."
— Trey Hendershot
I know that, as a business owner or partner, you have worked tirelessly to build a livelihood that you are passionate about and proud of. As the managing shareholder of Hendershot Cowart P.C., I look out for the best interest of our clients by utilizing our many years of combined experience practicing business law, business litigation, health law and regulatory compliance, and OSHA defense.
Keep reading to learn more about who I am as an attorney and person, as well as how my values have shaped my career and law firm.
Working Toward Your Continued Success
Our firm's tagline is: "Your Attorney. Your Team. Your Law Firm for Life." I strive to embody this every day with every client interaction I have. Not only does this tagline inform my approach to client service in a general sense, but it also lays the foundation for our continued collaboration. My mission is always to earn the trust and confidence of the business owners, executives, and entrepreneurs I am privileged to represent.
Trey Hendershot’s Primary Focus and Experience
With over three decades of experience as a business lawyer, I have helped many friends and clients take their businesses and healthcare practices to the next level. Throughout my career, I have developed a reputation for zealous representation, distinguished by personal attention, experience, and unparalleled preparation.
Your Goals Are My Priority
The strong work ethic of my father and grandfather inspired my decision to practice law. From them, I learned that success requires dedication and experience. It also requires integrity, honesty, and dogged determination. Whether reviewing an employment contract or providing representation in complex business litigation or a regulatory investigation, I continuously seek the best possible outcome for you and your business.
I have extensive experience representing businesses from startup to full operation, including helping file initial incorporation and managing multimillion-dollar transactions. I have counseled thousands of clients through litigation, arbitration, mergers, and acquisitions. My experience also extends to OSHA citation defense, Texas Medical Board and other licensing investigations, Anti-Kickback Statute and OIG investigations, fraud and abuse investigations, and STARK Law compliance.
Many of the clients I have represented for decades continue to flourish, benefiting from my and my firm's ongoing counsel. And when the inevitable litigation comes along, I've helped these same clients enforce their rights, defend against suits, and prevent future problems with sound regulatory and legal guidance. I shoulder the legal burden and let you get back to business.
OSHA defense cases can be particularly tricky to navigate if you are unfamiliar with how OSHA operates. Throughout my career, I have acquired extensive experience with OSHA inspections, citation defense, and appeals, handling everything from minor violations for failure to provide PPE to cases involving multiple fatalities. No matter the circumstances, all OSHA issues must be addressed carefully and quickly.
My approach to OSHA defense cases is to explore and utilize a range of defense strategies. These strategies include arguments regarding unavoidable employee misconduct, the impossibility of compliance, multiemployer worksite, and employer cited under the wrong standard. With this responsive and flexible methodology, I have successfully challenged and overturned many OSHA citations.
My firm and I are ready to use our wealth of knowledge and experience to help you meet OSHA's compliance and reporting requirements, as well as help you respond quickly and correctly when problems arise.
Want to know more about my firm's values? Please keep reading.
My Faith Is the Ethical Foundation for My Law Firm
I am not shy about my faith. I am a Christian and have been active in the church for most of my life. As such, faith plays a major role in my approach to client service and case preparation. My personal values also guide my firm, and I feel a deep, personal responsibility to our clients who trust us to guide them and their businesses.
We don't cut corners. We are adamant about doing the best job that we can for you. And when the work is done, I personally review our clients' monthly bills and efforts recorded to be sure that you received the benefit for which you were billed. Not every law firm can make this claim.
Our Clients Receive the Attention of All Attorneys
Collaboration is at the heart of everything we do at Hendershot Cowart P.C. Every week, each practice section collaborates as a team to discuss the various aspects of your case. Every attorney participates and is encouraged to provide input, even if that attorney is not actively working on your case. In this way, my entire law firm's resources are applied to your matter.
Our cooperative approach to legal representation allows us to achieve new insights and fresh perspectives. This active sharing of knowledge and expertise empowers us to create unique solutions for the success of your venture or the resolution of your legal challenge.
Our Business Law Team Is Dedicated to Your Success
No one wants to feel like they are just a case number. At Hendershot Cowart P.C., we are actively committed to our clients, always working to provide the attentive, responsive legal representation they and you deserve. When you hire our firm, we dedicate ourselves to you, your business interests, and your legal challenges.
Simply put, I and every attorney working here are genuinely invested in building your venture and/or resolving your legal challenges. We are aggressive in pursuing your goals, leveraging our experience, knowledge, and expertise for your benefit. We believe in prompt, personal attention and take a vested interest in our client’s success from start to finish.
Should you choose to work with us, you can rest assured that I and my team are prepared to work diligently to exceed your expectations. We want to be your law firm for life.
- Represented Public Utility District in a successful appeal before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, defending the client against claims of discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Federal Fair Housing Act, and other related state and federal statutes at both the trial and appellate court levels
- Overturned an OSHA citation for a demolition company cited for a job site fatality on a multiemployer worksite
- Successfully represented the founding physician in breakup litigation over a large, multi-specialty practice
- Argued a Probate Court decision before the Fourteenth Court of Appeals of Texas to uphold the rights of a judgment creditor, leading to a successful settlement with the opposing party (Dyer v. Echols, 808 S.W.2d 531, 1991)
- Lead counsel for the seller in a private, for-profit hospital sale to a state university system
- Successfully represented the founder of a multi-million-dollar software company in a hostile freeze-out attempt
- Represented trust beneficiary in complex breach of fiduciary duty litigation against a large financial institution
- Represented Freestanding Emergency Center through trial and appeal phase in dispute with health insurance companies regarding payment of fees
- Represented e-prescribing company in litigation alleging patent infringement
Recent Insights from Trey Hendershot
- NLRB Memo Asserts Most Non-Compete Agreements Violate the National Labor Relations Act, June 20, 2023
- Changing Jobs with A Non-Compete: What to Say And When?, March 6, 2023
- Shareholder Actions: Direct Vs. Derivative Suits, JD Supra, November 15, 2022
- 7 Telehealth Red Flags – OIG Shares Measures for Spotting Medicare Fraud, October 4, 2022
- How Is a Medical Practice Divided During Divorce?, August 17, 2022
- Protecting Trade Secrets in Texas: How Do You Identify and Secure a Trade Secret?, JD Supra, July 27, 2022
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Military Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- J.D., South Texas College of Law
- B.B.A., Texas A&M University, Distinguished Military Graduate
- Best Lawyer: Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, 2021 edition
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Lawyers, 2020
- The American Registry: Distinguished Attorney, 2020
- The American Registry: Houston's Top Lawyers, 2019
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals, 2019
- The American Registry: Distinguished Attorney, 2019
- The American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals, 2018