Our law firm has been helping Texas businesses succeed for over 30 years. Whether you need a rock-solid contract or assistance with corporate formations or transactions, the experienced, efficient Houston business lawyers at Hendershot Cowart P.C. are ready to work on your side.
Are you involved in a business dispute? Our team of Houston business law attorneys can guide you through complex claims and lawsuits – ranging from breaches of contract to shareholder or partnership disputes – so you can get back to business as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.
- Administrative Law
- Bankruptcy & Creditor's Rights
- Business & LLC Formation
- Business Litigation
- Business Transactions
- Buy-Sell Agreements
- Construction Law
- Contract Law
- Corporate Restructuring
- Dissolution of Businesses
- Draft or Review Contracts
- Franchise Agreements
- Fraud & Misrepresentation
- General Counsel Services
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Non-Solicitation Agreements
- Oil & Gas Law
- Partnership Agreements
- Removal & Special Appearances in Texas
- Shareholder Agreements
- Social Media Law
- Spin-Off Agreements
- Texas Department Of Insurance Investigations
- Trade Secret Protection
Business Law, Corporate Formations, Contracts, and Transactions for Texas Businesses
At Hendershot Cowart P.C., we’ve seen what happens when a business relationship goes bad; we’ve been litigating such disputes for more than 30 years. As a result, our team of Houston business attorneys can advise business owners and executives against risks and exposures they may not have considered. Our goal is to protect your business from expensive lawsuits.
What Our Houston Business Lawyers Can Do for You:
- Business Formation: Including choice of entity, entity formation, buy/sell agreements, employment agreements, compliance plans, partnership and shareholder agreements, intellectual property, and trade secret protection.
- Business Transactions: Including corporate restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, acquisition of key assets, equipment, or real estate, independent contractor agreements, and more.
- IP and Trade Secret Protection: Including licensing or technology development agreements, non-compete or non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements or NDAs, trademarks and copyrights and work-for-hire agreements.
- Business Litigation: Including breach of contracts or contract disputes, partnership or shareholder disputes, shareholder oppression, theft of trade secrets, fraud and misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, dissolution of a business, hostile takeovers or buyouts, temporary restraining orders and injunctions, patent infringement defense, and defense against deceptive trade practices claims.
- General Counsel Services: Including business formation, contracts and agreements, business transactions, and regulatory compliance. Our Houston, TX business lawyers can also help your small business spot potential liabilities and exposures that could lead to disputes or litigation if not properly addressed.
- Construction Law and Arbitration: Including Construction contracts, subcontractor agreements, joint bid agreements, architect contracts, supply contracts, breach of contract claims, OSHA claims, liquidated damages and enforcing or challenging mechanic’s liens.
- Oil and Gas Law: Including exploration agreements, production agreements, participation agreements, farm-out agreements, oil field service agreements, equipment contracts, manufacturing contracts, work-over contracts, and oil and gas law.
- Administrative Law: Including healthcare compliance issues, licensure defense, and healthcare fraud protection and defense.
Founded in 1987, Hendershot Cowart P.C. is a Houston-based, full-service business law firm that understands the complex needs of our commercial clients. We routinely partner with small and mid-size business owners, shareholders, and executives throughout Texas and across the nation to resolve their legal matters. For legal guidance, perspective, and resolution – in and out of the courtroom – contact our Houston business lawyers today.
Prevent Disputes with Enforceable Contracts and Agreements
Running a business is stressful enough without worrying over lawsuits. Our business contract lawyers draft, review, implement, and enforce an array of contracts and agreements that are designed to help prevent disputes or litigation from arising in the first place.
Contracts, agreements, and transactions our Houston business lawyers regularly handle include:
- Non-disclosure agreements
- LLC or company operating agreements
- Confidentiality agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- Non-compete agreements
- Partnership agreements
- Employment agreements
- Buy-sell agreements
- Independent contractor agreements
- Restriction and separation agreements
- Arbitration or mediation
- Licensing agreements
- Restructuring agreements
- Mergers and acquisitions
When is It Time to Hire a Business Attorney?
It can be tempting to sidestep the hiring of an attorney. Legal issues may not seem serious enough to justify retaining professional counsel or paying the costs associated with their services – after all, you manage your business expenses as carefully as you manage your household budget. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be judicious in the way you spend money. However, leaving nagging legal concerns untended too long could cost you tenfold more should they develop into litigation down the road.
Experienced attorneys can provide vital support for nearly every aspect of your business – from the earliest stages of business formation and the creation of operating and partnership agreements to regulatory compliance, contract negotiation, and strategies for reducing exposure to risk. “It’s our job to educate our clients on potential liabilities and exposures that could lead to future disputes or litigation if not properly addressed,” says business law attorney David Augustus. “We can look at your situation and identify where things could go wrong, and how best to navigate it.”
So when is it time to hire a business attorney in Houston? Simply put: before you need one.
How Attorneys Help Small- to Mid-Sized, Closely Held Businesses:
- Business Lawyers Draft Sound, Enforceable Agreements and Structure Compliant Businesses. The old adage that “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is abundantly true when it comes to enlisting the help of a business lawyer. By the time you’ve been sued or hit with major legal issues, the preventable damage has already been done. A one-hour consultation with an attorney now can help you better grasp the legal risks and considerations you face as a business owner, partner or executive. Whether you are mulling over a specific matter—such as a simmering dispute—or concerned with mitigating business risks in general, an attorney can highlight exposures and help you evaluate your options while keeping legal costs manageable.
- Our Houston Business Attorneys Can Help You Make Informed Decisions, Serving as Your General Counsel. There is little doubt that the initial expense of hiring an attorney before problems arise is a far more cost-effective approach than hiring one when it is too late. Litigation can be time-consuming and expensive. By working with our Houston, TX business attorney early on, you can be proactive in preventing problems rather than being thrown into a reactionary scramble. Early intervention will allow you to fully explore available options and make sensible, informed decisions about matters that can have a major impact on the future of your business. You’ll typically have more avenues to explore when you plan ahead than when your business is backed against the wall. As Managing Partner Trey Hendershot notes: “Litigation is not cheap. It’s a lot easier to make informed business decisions on the front end than have to fix things on the back end. Consider trade secrets: An attorney can help you protect your trade secrets with enforceable non-compete, non-solicitation, confidentiality agreements. This is a lot more economical than having five of your key employees leave and set up competition against you after a few years in your employment, while also having to find a way to enforce your trade secrets through litigation.” Working with a business lawyer who has the insight and experience to help you make prudent business decisions may ultimately save you money.
- De-Escalate Disputes: Business Attorneys Have Tools to Help Keep Disagreements From Turning Into Litigation. Though no one is eager to involve attorneys when minor disagreements arise, failing to consult counsel in a timely manner can allow even the smallest disagreements to blossom into major disputes that threaten a company’s ability to operate. Having an attorney in the batter’s box or hiring one as soon as possible when problems arise can help you put a lid on legal issues that could become larger problems – such as a regulatory investigation with the potential for criminal prosecution, or an infringement claim that could lock you into costly litigation. With early intervention, potentially injurious situations may be de-escalated before they impact your bottom line, place strain on critical relationships, or result in monetary or reputational harm.
Learn How the Houston Business Lawyers at Hendershot Cowart P.C. Can Help You
While partnering with an experienced business attorney may sound prohibitively expensive or low on a business owner’s priority list, it is all about preventing problems and minimizing risks. At Hendershot Cowart P.C., our Houston-based attorneys have devoted decades to representing clients like you in a range of business law and litigation matters. We know from first-hand experience that involving an attorney sooner rather than later can help protect your business so you can sleep better at night.
If you have questions about a start-up, established business, or pressing legal matter, our award-winning lawyers are here to help. Call or contact us online to request a consultation.
“I cannot say enough good things about my Lawyer, Mr. David Augustus. His calm, laser-like knowledge of business law allowed me to prevail and teach a few others during the short negotiations. Having the full backing of his law firm also helped greatly.” - L.A.
“Excellent experience working with Ray to settle our partnership dissolution. He was consistently available and steadfast in his guidance. Highly recommend this firm.” - S.H.