Houston Healthcare Lawyers
Serving Medical Professionals in Texas and Across the U.S.
Healthcare entities face an increasingly challenging legal environment. This is true in everything from setting up a practice to complying with fraud and abuse laws such as the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statutes, Federal False Claims Act / Civil Investigative Demands and more.
At Hendershot Cowart P.C., our healthcare lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience advising, consulting, and representing healthcare physicians, businesses, and facilities with a wide range of legal needs.
Commonly Provided Health & Medical Law Services:
While our law firm is based in Houston, Texas, we provide legal representation for clients throughout the State of Texas. To learn more about our services and how we can leverage our experience for your benefit - call (713) 909-7323 or complete an online form.
New Practices, Mergers & Acquisitions
From entity selection to contractual agreements, we help medical and healthcare professionals create a foundation and policy-driven structure to handle compliance measures, business and employment relationships, liabilities, and proactive systems that reduce risk and exposure to healthcare fraud. This includes:
- Choice of entity, structuring partnerships and/or establishing rights and duties of stakeholders
- Buy-in arrangements and buyout formulas
- Compensation plans, bonus structures, covenants not to compete, confidentiality agreements and exit strategies
- Compliance plans with Texas law against the corporate practice of medicine
- Employment, management, independent contractor and other medical professional-related agreements
- Licensing, credentialing and peer review proceedings
- Protection and defense against billing practice audits and violations, including Medicare, Medicaid & Tricare Fraud, Stark & Anti-Kickback Violations, Federal False Claims Act / Civil Investigative Demands Violations, RAC audits, ZPIC Audits, Novitas Audits, TDI audits and more
- Managed care transactions
- Regulatory compliance, corporate compliance and risk management
- Space and equipment leases
- Tax Exemption considerations
Defense against Healthcare Fraud Investigations, Audits, and Violations
Our attorneys represent medical professionals and healthcare facilities in all types of healthcare fraud matters. If you know you are being investigated for potentially fraudulent activity, we will provide the strategic, aggressive defense necessary to protect your interests or career.
Even if you have been told you are not the target of the investigation, you should still contact an attorney. The Office of Inspector General (OIG) and Attorney General's Office (AG) commonly question individuals and businesses before launching an investigation against them. By doing so, investigators can obtain admissions that may lead to investigations and severe consequences, including penalties such as fines, exclusion from Medicaid and Medicare, and other career-shifting effects.We are prepared to represent you in any fraud-related matter, including:
- Anti-kickback violations
- Civil investigative demands
- Compounding pharmacy fraud
- Department of State Health Services audits
- Federal False Claims Act / Civil Investigative Demands violations
- Health and human services investigations
- OIG investigations/subpoenas
- Medicare & Medicaid fraud
- Novitas audits
- RAC (Recovery Audit Contractor) audits
- Stark Law violations (self-referral)
- Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) audits
- TRICARE fraud
- Violations of the 60-day rule
- ZPIC (Zone Program Integrity Contractors) audits
- Medicare exclusions
- Medicare billing privilege revocations & appeals
Compliance Plans & Regulatory Compliance Issues in Healthcare
Numerous regulatory requirements govern transactions and business dealings involving healthcare professionals and facilities. Our health and medical law attorneys regularly assist our clients with individualized compliance programs for all types and sizes of healthcare entities, including Practices, clinics, hospitals, medical groups, ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs), pharmacies and independent diagnostic testing facilities, durable medical equipment (DME) entities and more.
Our legal team helps with:
comprehensive compliance plans that address:
- Code of conduct
- Written policies and procedures for compliance training, corrective action plans and more
- A Designated Corporate Compliance Officer (and compliance committees)
- Guidelines for training and education programs
- Communication lines
- Enforcement plan
- Procedures outlining auditing and monitoring
- And more
regulatory requirements associated with healthcare-related transactions, such as:
- Purchase of equipment
- Joint ventures
- Establishment, purchase or sale of compounding pharmacies
- Investments by physicians
- Lease agreements
- Management agreements
- Billing arrangements
- And more
Medical Contracts - We negotiate, create, and assess:
- Independent contractor agreements
- Physician employment agreements
- Medical director agreements
- Space and equipment leases
- Mobile diagnostic testing agreements
- Billing agreements
- Management services contracts
- Compensation agreements
- Covenants not to compete
- Confidentiality agreements
- Non-solicitation agreements
- All other types of agreements that medical businesses require
We have extensive experience in establishing unique compensation plans, buy-in arrangements, bonus structures, exit strategies and buyout formulas. In any situation, our goal is to create a means for you to accommodate growth in your practice or to replace retiring physicians.
Your license is your livelihood. Whether you need to obtain a medical license or your license is under investigation, our medical license defense attorneys have the administrative knowledge and experience to help.
We represent healthcare providers of all types in:
- Texas Medical Board hearings
- Peer review and licensure hearings
- Credentialing matters
- Nursing Board issues
- Pharmacy Board matters
- Paramedic Board
We have extensive experience with complaints to the Texas Medical Board and other licensing boards. Your prompt response to requests for information from licensing boards is a critical part of your defense. We will handle every step of the process, from the moment you suspect the board is examining your licensure.
Third-Party Payers / Prompt Payment of Claims
Whether from third-party payers or direct payment, medical practices, hospitals, and other medical businesses need to receive fair and full payment for services rendered. When this does not occur, you need a powerful advocate to help you obtain the funds you are due.
We have successfully brought claims in courts and arbitrations to enforce the provisions of the Texas Prompt Payment of Claims Act on behalf of clients and have handled complex collection-related matters involving:
- Third-party payor agreements
- The collection of principal, fees and, when appropriate, penalties
- ERISA (Employee Retirement Income Security Act) issues
- Assignment of benefits
- Breach of contract
- In network/out-of-network payment issues
Speak with an Experienced Healthcare Lawyer Today!
Hendershot Cowart P.C. is a recognized Texas leader in health care and business law. If you require proven legal assistance, we encourage you to request an initial consultation to learn more about our services and how we can leverage our experience for your benefit. Call (713) 909-7323 for an initial consultation.