Houston Construction Law Attorneys
Serving Texas & Beyond in Complex Construction Legal Issues
Businesses that stake their claim in construction operate in an industry filled with unique laws, competition, and regulatory oversight – especially in Houston and the state of Texas. Because construction projects also require the collaboration of numerous parties, there is ample opportunity for disputes to arise.
Managing these risks, ensuring compliance, and responding to issues on an immediate basis is critical to building a foundation for success, and facilitating swift and successful resolutions that allow you to succeed in the space.
At Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C., our Houston construction lawyers have been trusted by a diverse clientele in a range of complex construction law matters across Texas and beyond. With a real-world experience advising and supporting various parties to construction projects through review, negotiation, and execution of construction contracts, we harness the power of proactive legal counsel to prevent disputes. Our versatility and experience representing parties in strategic business litigation and arbitration allow us to pursue positive resolution when things don’t go as planned.
Even the slightest setbacks in construction can result in significant financial loss, which is why the lawyers you choose must have the knowledge and experience to keep projects running smoothly and protect your interests.
To discuss your matter during an initial consultation, call (713) 909-7323.
Who We Represent
Our firm has experience representing a range of individuals and companies in construction matters and disputes, including:
A significant portion of our practice is centered on negotiating, reviewing, and executing construction contracts. We know from experience that clear, well-drafted, and enforceable agreements are less likely to become the center of disagreement down the road.
We handle the full spectrum of construction-related contracts most commonly involved in real estate development and residential and commercial projects, including:
- Construction agreements (commercial and residential)
- Subcontractor agreements
- Joint bid agreements
- Architect contracts
- Supply contracts
Recent changes to Texas law concerning indemnity clauses have reshaped construction contract negotiations. Our insurance litigation practice frequently deals with indemnity issues and losses arising out of construction contracts, which provides us with the insight to effectively address these complex and evolving issues when drafting contracts, and when enforcing or defending against a claim. Our team can discuss indemnification matters in construction and other issues you may have when forming legal agreements as part of your construction project and contractual relationships.
Construction Disputes & Resolution
As a full-service Houston business and commercial law firm, we take special pride in working with our clients whenever they require experienced counsel. With the number of contracts entered into for even a small construction project, there is always potential for misinterpretation of contract terms, failure to perform services, or other circumstances that can result in disputes.
We offer decades of combined experience in litigation and arbitration to resolve common construction-related disputes, including:
- Breach of Contract Claims – All construction projects depend on seamless execution of equipment, material, and other supply contracts. A minor delay in delivery or failure to pay can quickly escalate into a heated legal dispute, with each side asserting that it is in the right. Our attorneys can quickly get to the issues at hand and determine how to best advocate for our client's position based on the facts.
- Liquidated Damages – Clauses concerning liquated damages are protections against delays and other breaches of contract, but they can introduce a number of challenges for both sides.
- OSHA Claims – We maintain an active OSHA defense practice representing general contractors, subcontractors, and owners facing allegations of safety violations and OSHA citations.
- Enforcing or Challenging Mechanic's Liens – Contractors, subcontractors, and artisans can obtain an interest in a property when they are unpaid. Our attorneys routinely represent property owners and skilled workers who are involved in disputes arising out of these legal tools.
- Construction Defect Claims – All parties in a construction project have a vested interest in a finished project free of defects. When defects require costly repairs or threaten the structural integrity of a building, legal claims are almost certain to arise. We represent property owners, contractors, and subcontractors involved in litigation and arbitration of these disputes. Many construction contracts include mandatory arbitration clauses, meaning that in a legal dispute, the parties are bound by the ruling of an arbitrator. This means if you're involved in a disagreement over the terms of a contract (or believe a disagreement may arise), you need counsel experienced in arbitration, as well as mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Place Your Trust in Proven Texas Construction Law Attorneys
If you are looking for strategic counsel to review, negotiate, or execute a construction contract, or require zealous representation in litigation and dispute resolution, you can be confident about placing your trust in our experienced legal team at Hendershot, Cannon & Hisey, P.C. From business formation to litigation, we have the depth of insight and resources your case demands.
Call us at (713) 909-7323 or fill out an online form to discuss your construction-related legal needs.