Ky Jurgensen is an experienced business and health care litigation attorney with an additional focus on estate planning, probate and guardianship work. Ky has successfully represented entrepreneurs and businesses of all sizes in trials, arbitrations, and appeals in complex civil litigation matters. Thanks to this extensive experience as both a business litigator and in-house counsel, he understands his clients’ needs from a business perspective and continuously evaluates the costs and benefits of every strategic move.
As an attorney with a focus on estate planning, Ky has advised and assisted numerous estate executors and beneficiaries through probate disputes, from contested wills to disputes over how the estate is handled and distributed. He has also lent a helping hand to families and individuals seeking guardianship, or less restrictive alternatives, of a minor, or of an elderly or incapacitated adult.
Ky is a Houston native and has the great fortune of loving what he does for a living. He received his J.D. from St. Mary’s University School of Law, where he graduated cum laude and was an editor of the university’s law review. He is an active member of the Houston Bar Association and routinely accepts pro bono engagements in Harris and Montgomery Counties. Outside the office, Ky enjoys spending time with his wife, backpacking in the American Southwest, and woodworking.
Primary Focus and Experience
Recent Significant Engagements
- Obtained winning jury verdict as lead trial counsel for plaintiff physician in breach of contract and fraud lawsuit filed against the physician's former employer for breaching a settlement agreement
- Defeated application for temporary injunction against group of physicians seeking to block them from opening new practice that allegedly competed with their former practice in violation of their employment agreements
- Secured favorable family settlement agreement for client in dispute with other beneficiaries over validity of grandmother’s handwritten will and distribution of her estate.
- Won a ruling denying the application for temporary injunction and obtained favorable settlements for commercial construction company and the estate of its majority owner in lawsuits brought by the company’s creditors.
- Successfully represented and obtained large settlements for over two dozen physicians in disputes spanning multiple lawsuits against large multi-specialty medical practice and its owner for breaching their physician employment agreements and fraudulently inducing their investments in the practice.
- Defeated motion for summary judgment and obtained favorable settlement for client, a prominent Tejano musician, in lawsuit filed by his former talent agent seeking payment of royalties.
- Co-appellate counsel for defendants in case affirming summary judgment in favor of clients that dismissed plaintiffs' lawsuit alleging they were fraudulently induced to invest in development of long-term acute care hospital (LTACH) in Houston.
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- J.D., cum laude, St. Mary’s University School of Law
- B.A., Honors College, Texas State University – San Marcos