Texas Healthcare Fraud Investigation Defense
Facing a Federal or State Healthcare Fraud Investigation?
If you, your practice, or your medical business have been notified of a pending medical fraud audit, investigation, or enforcement action involving any regulatory agency or government contractor, the time to act is now.
At Hendershot Cowart P.C., our Texas health and medical fraud defense lawyers are available to provide the immediate defense you need to protect your practice and reputation.
Healthcare Investigations Practice Areas
Protecting the Rights of Healthcare Businesses & Medical Professionals in Texas & Across the U.S.
Hendershot Cowart P.C. is a nationally recognized healthcare law firm with extensive experience protecting the rights and businesses of physicians and other healthcare providers, suppliers, and facilities.
Regulators, auditors, and others who initiate healthcare fraud actions are highly sensitive to spotting inconsistencies and unusual patterns, and aggressive in pursuing potential violations. They also work to stay a step ahead: When agencies come knocking on your door, chances are they have already invested significant time investigating your case.
As a firm trusted by clients and colleagues nationwide, we understand the importance of early intervention when it comes to resolving medical fraud claims as quickly as possible, mitigating your exposure to penalties, and preventing audits or civil investigations from being referred for criminal prosecution.
Read Our blog: What Is Involved in a Health Care Fraud Investigation?
Acting quickly is critical in order to establish lines of communication with the investigating body and prepare a comprehensive defense strategy. We encourage you to speak with an attorney as soon as possible after receiving notice of any action, audit, or medical fraud investigation.
Since 1987, our attorneys have represented thousands of individuals and companies in complex and high-stakes audits, investigations, and other civil and administrative proceedings at both the state and federal level – including those involving:
- STARK Law violations
- OIG investigations and OIG subpoenas
- Anti-Kickback Statute violations
- Telemedicine fraud
- False Claims Act violations
- Medical license defense
- Improper billing practices
- Medicare fraud
- Improper referral arrangements
- CMS exclusions
- Non-compliant billing agreements
- UPIC audits
- Billing for services not rendered
- CPOM violations
- Improper supervision for services rendered
- RAC audits
- Billing for services under improper credentials
- Prescription drug fraud
- Failure to properly document medical necessity
- Compounding pharmacy fraud
- Failure to timely pay an overpayment (60-Day rule)
- TRICARE audits and investigations
- Civil Investigative Demands
- EKRA (Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act)
Who We Represent in Healthcare Fraud Investigations
Hendershot Cowart P.C. represents all types of individuals, professionals, and entities facing medical fraud-related actions, including:
- Individual physicians and corporate executives
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Physician practices and medical groups
- Medical device manufacturers
- Hospitals, clinics, and health care systems
- Durable medical equipment (DME) companies
- Long-term care providers
- Diagnostic and testing facilities
- Pharmacies, pharmacists, and technicians
- Management service organizations (MSOs)
Our firm has successfully represented clients against medical fraud audits, investigations, and enforcement actions involving a range of state and federal agencies and administrative entities, including:
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Office of Inspector General (OIG)
- Department of State Health Services
- Texas Medical Board (TMB) and Texas Board of Nursing (BON)
- And other contractors, agencies, and administrative licensing boards
- Texas Department of Insurance (TDI)
Responsive Representation in Medicare Fraud Defense
If you are facing any fraud allegation, audit, or investigation related to Medicaid or Medicare, our firm is prepared to immediately represent you. Our goals in these cases include:
- Keeping cases civil, rather than criminal.
- Maintaining confidentiality and protecting reputation.
- Reaching good faith resolutions and negotiating fair outcomes.
Learn More About Our Medicare and Healthcare Fraud Services
- Appealing a Medicare Enrollment Denial
- Novitas or Qlarant Audits
- Responding to Civil Investigative Demands (CID)
- OIG Investigations
- Medicare & Medicaid Fraud Investigations
- RAC Audits
- Medicare & Medicaid Recoupment
- TRICARE Fraud
- Medicare Billing Privilege Revocations & Appeals
- UPIC Audits
- Medicare Exclusions
Call to Speak With a Texas Health Care and Medical Fraud Defense Lawyer Now
Based in Houston, our healthcare fraud defense attorneys serve clients across Texas and the U.S., and are available to discuss your case immediately.
In addition to defense representation, our firm also provides proactive counsel to help clients in the healthcare industry assess regulatory compliance, and create comprehensive training and compliance plans.
Proactive Compliance Services
Consequences associated with healthcare fraud investigations and Medicare enrollment or participation sanctions can be extreme, which is why building a medical business upon a compliant foundation is critical. Limiting risks also requires a front-footed approach, careful planning, and a focus on prevention.
We help safeguard clients from business disputes and ensure regulatory compliance to avoid violations of federal healthcare laws. Our services are also intended to help clients reduce their exposure to medical fraud and other enforcement actions.
- Medical practice set-up
- Licensure and credentialing
- Medical contract drafting
- Billing agreements and practices
- Compliance plans
- Compensation agreements
Let's Get Started
We handle reconsiderations, appeals, and healthcare fraud defense matters throughout Texas, and are available to discuss how we can immediately begin representing you.
Call or contact usto learn more about our services.
We Shoulder the Legal Burden.™And let you get back to business.
We Want to Be Your Law Firm for Life.We take a vested interest in our clients' success – from start to finish.
We Believe in Prompt, Personal Attention.As a boutique law firm, we unite real experience with personal attention.
We Serve Clients Throughout Texas and the Nation.We handle matters from the Red River to the Rio Grande and beyond.
In Business Since 1987.Let us put the full force of our 100+ years of combined experience to work for you.
“I cannot say enough good things about my Lawyer, Mr. David Augustus. His calm, laser-like knowledge of business law allowed me to prevail and teach a few others during the short negotiations. Having the full backing of his law firm also helped greatly.” - L.A.
“Excellent experience working with Ray to settle our partnership dissolution. He was consistently available and steadfast in his guidance. Highly recommend this firm.” - S.H.
“I retained Hendershot Cowart last year. Though an obvious small case for the firm, it was traumatic and very personal for me. Ashley Arnett guided me through the process, never once making me feel that my case wasn’t any less important as any other.” - S.L.