Health Care Fraud Defense Attorney
Facing a federal or state health care fraud investigation?
The health care industry is subject to a convoluted patchwork of state and federal regulations, executive orders, and state licensing requirements that make compliance a challenging task. With regulators intent on rooting out fraud and abuse in the health care space, even those with the best of intentions can find themselves the subject of an audit, investigation, or even fraud charges. If not properly and aggressively defended, these actions can threaten a health care practice, alter careers, and, in some cases, lead to prison time.
If you, your practice, or your medical business have been notified of a pending audit, investigation, or enforcement action involving any regulatory agency or government contractor, the time to act is now.
At Hendershot Cowart, P.C., our Texas health care fraud defense lawyers are available to provide the immediate defense you need to protect your practice and reputation.
How We Can Help
Hendershot Cowart, P.C. is a Houston-based civil trial law firm with over 100 years of combined experience in health and medical law.
Since 1987, our attorneys have represented thousands of individuals and companies in complex and high-stakes audits, investigations, and other civil and administrative proceedings at both the state and federal level – including those involving:
- STARK Law violations
- Anti-Kickback Statute violations
- False Claims Act violations
- Improper billing practices
- Improper referral arrangements
- Non-compliant billing agreements
- Billing for services not rendered
- Improper supervision for services rendered
- Billing for services under improper credentials
- Failure to properly document medical necessity
- Failure to timely pay an overpayment (60-Day rule)
- Civil Investigative Demands
- OIG investigations & OIG subpoenas
- Telemedicine fraud
- Medical license defense
- Medicare & Medicaid fraud
- CMS exclusions
- ZPIC audits
- CPOM violations
- RAC audits
- Prescription drug fraud
- Compounding pharmacy fraud
- TRICARE audits & investigations
- EKRA (Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act)
Regulators, auditors, and others who initiate health care fraud actions are highly sensitive to spotting inconsistencies and unusual patterns, and aggressive in pursuing potential violations. They also work to stay a step ahead: when agencies come knocking on your door, chances are they have already invested significant time investigating your case.
As a firm trusted by clients and colleagues nationwide, we understand the importance of early intervention when it comes to resolving health care actions as quickly as possible, mitigating your exposure to penalties, and preventing audits or civil investigations from being referred for criminal prosecution.
Read our blog: What Is Involved in a Health Care Fraud Investigation?
Because acting quickly is critical to establishing lines of communication with the investigating body and for devising a comprehensive defense strategy, we encourage you to speak with an attorney as soon as possible after receiving notice of any action, audit, or investigation.
Who We Represent
Hendershot Cowart, P.C. represents all types of individuals, professionals, and entities facing fraud-related health care actions, including:
- Individual physicians and corporate executives
- Physician practices and medical groups
- Hospitals, clinics, and health care systems
- Long-term care providers
- Pharmacies, pharmacists, and technicians
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Medical device manufacturers
- Durable medical equipment (DME) companies
- Diagnostic and testing facilities
- Management service organizations (MSOs)
Our firm has successfully represented clients against audits, investigations, and enforcement actions involving a range of state and federal agencies and administrative entities, including the
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Office of Inspector General (OIG)
- Texas Medical Board (TMB) and Texas Nursing Board (TNB)
- Texas Department of Insurance (TDI)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Department of State Health Services
- And other contractors, agencies, and administrative licensing boards
Call to Speak with a Houston Health Care Fraud Defense Lawyer
Based in Houston, our health care fraud defense attorneys serve clients across Texas and the U.S., and are available immediately to discuss your case.
In addition to defense representation, our firm also provides proactive counsel to help clients in the health care industry assess regulatory compliance, and create comprehensive training and compliance plans. Call or contact us to learn more about our services.